Tuesday, November 13, 2007

In Memory of Amy


A friend of ours, Amy Wilhoite, past away from Leukemia a couple of months ago. Her and her husband are our age and have a little boy that will be turning two in December. I would highly recommend her blog, wilhoite.blogspot.com, that she began when she first found out about her cancer. You will be amazed and freshly encouraged by her testimony and the outworkings of the gospel in her life! She was a precious saint who has gone home to be with her Lord.
In honor and memory of her, Jason, my dad, my sister, and I, went yesterday to put ourselves on the bone marrow donor registry. It was suprisingly simple. We filled out a little bit of paperwork, rubbed 4 cotton q-tips in our mouth, paid $25, and we were done.
After Amy died, I was reading through all of the hundreds of comments on her blog and got caught going from blog to blog of the people whose lives she had affected, including several leukemia patients. One site I came across was about a little girl named Amy who had the same type of leukemia as Amy. Her website is amysarmy.org. She was diagnosed in 2003 and has still been unable to find a donor match. For this type of leukemia, a stem cell donation is the only possible cure. It just made me think, what if I was a match for someone and had the bone marrow that could possibly save their life? I felt the conviction to go place myself on the registry. And, having the wonderful family that I do, they came with me!
If you want to look into it, the national bone marrow website is www.marrow.org. In loving memory of Amy! Thank you for your amazing example and for a life that pleased our glorious Savior!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of ya'll! I want to do the same thing. (On a side note, I think Gary's birthday is november 28th. I was thinking of sending him a present.)