Thursday, September 25, 2008

Smithsonian

Monday was a full DC day!  I loved it!  We went to the Natural History Museum first and then to the Air and Space Museum.  Now, I quickly realized that in this precious season of life, we were not really going to be able to "see" the museum.  So, I enjoyed what I could as Jason and I were also chasing, correcting, and taking lots of potty breaks.  It was really nice to have my parents there to help as well.  
First Stop: National Museum of Natural History
When you first walk into the museum there is this huge elephant display.  It is actually pretty cool, but it totally freaked Abby out!  Poor thing!  She is still, a couple of days later, talking about the scary elephant!  We saw lots of dinosaurs, those too were a little frightening for Abby.  We walked through the geology exhibits, including the minerals and crystals.  That was pretty neat!  We saw the Hope Diamond, the diamond earrings worn by Marie Antoinette, huge emeralds, a red and pink diamond and so many other amazing gems.  It is amazing to look and wonder at how artistic God is!  To think, the whole museum is filled with His artwork!  
 




The Hope Diamond!

After the Natural History Museum, we walked out on "The Mall", the big grassy area surrounded by the Capitol building, museums, and the Washington Monument (and probably a lot else but that is all I know). We took some pictures and then... Abby noticed the big carousel and it was off to the races!





Well, by this point, Katie had fallen asleep in the stroller and we decided talk a walk through these outdoor gardens that are a part of the Smithsonian. They were so unique and so beautiful!
This was the coolest plant!

And my ever so clever hubby! Doesn't he make you laugh!

Do you see the cotton balls? 



Then it was off to the Air and Space Museum. What a neat neat place! I just walk through a place like this and think, "Why don't I read more biographies?" Such fascinating history!






I definitely want to return to both of these places! Maybe if we go several times to each museum we will feel like we saw most of it! What a great day!

1 comment:

Amy said...

What is Jason doing in that picture???