Sunday, October 19, 2008

True Beauty

This past Friday night there was a women's event at Covenant Life Church where Carolyn Mahaney spoke on True Beauty as biblically defined. Once again I felt the conviction of the Holy Spirit as I saw my sin and my fleshly desires to pursue and exalt myself. Do I allow the culture to define beauty in my heart? Why do we as women desire beauty? Do I desire beauty for my glory or for God's glory? Lately, I have felt a consistent pulling at my heart that God desires for me to grow in humility. This night just fit right in with this theme. Is my life about me? Or is it about my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Although I feel the war waging within me, I so desire to grow in humility and to humbly serve my God the rest of my days and all of eternity! You can listen to Carolyn's message here.
I was also affected that night by all of the young adolescent daughters of the PC ladies. I was sitting in one row with all of the moms and all of the daughters, 12 and older, were sitting in the row in front of us. During our worship time, I was looking at these girls and felt the Holy Spirit prick my heart with the thought of Abby and Katie one day sitting in that row. Most days that day seems so far away, but at that moment, that day felt very near! There was a unique grace in that moment to be motivated and encouraged to enjoy this season, to hold it dear, and with eyes fixed on Jesus, faithfully train these precious gifts!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Good stuff! Thanks Tiff. Gal 6:9 has been my favorite verse to repeat in my head during those hard days :).

shari said...

Great questions to ask ourselves. I'm thanking Him with you as we take all this great information in and pray to apply it to our lives.