Monday, October 13, 2008

There and Back Again!

Well, the past month has been fairly busy!  Lots and lots of homework (for Jason that is), my parents came to visit, Jason's mom came to visit, we went home for a quick weekend, and we had 1 urgent care visit, 2 ER visits, one surgery, and 3 nights in the hospital.  That's right folks!  The hospital visits increased this week!  Poor little Katie!  A week ago, Katie fractured her elbow!  We rushed to the nearest urgent care and they sent us to the ER.  The ER that night was packed and we waited for several hours.  The night ended with a super condylar fracture (fractured humerus), a sling that she downright hated, a prescription, and a referral to an orthopedic surgeon.  We called the next day to make an appointment but we had to see another doctor in the office because the referred physician was in surgery all day.  When we went to our appointment that afternoon, the doctor was very kind and referred us back to the original doctor because he did not feel comfortable making the call to go in for surgery with Katie being so young.  So we came back the next day, the doctor looked at her x-rays, said that she definitely needed surgery, scheduled it at 7pm that night at the hospital, and said that we needed to stay the night.  So we rushed to the cafe next door and ate lunch before Katie's "no food, no liquid rule" went into effect.  Then we rushed home to pack our bags, pick-up Abby from the Schiel's house (Thank You!) and drop her off at the Slack's house (Thank You!).  Then it was off to the hospital.  We had to be there at 5:30 and the surgery didn't end up happening until 8:30, so we had a little time to think, pray, play with and hug our little girl!  The surgery didn't take to long, about an hour, and we were back in the recovery room with her.  We were there for a couple of hours and I got to hold her as she went in and out of sleep.  About midnight they wheeled us up to the pediatric floor and got Katie and I all settled in.  When we were completely taken care of, Jason headed home and we all tried to get some sleep.  The Lord blessed Katie with good sleep that night.  After breakfast, Katie was doing just fine and they sent us home.  She was a little grumpy the first day, but she bounced back fast!  I spent the next few days trying to convince her not to climb on the furniture, run around, jump on the bed, chase her sister and all the other crazy little things toddlers do!  
This morning was our appointment to get her cast on.  I was a little nervous.  I know Katie and so I knew there was no way she was going to cooperate or be still at all for this little procedure.  I had been praying for more divine intervention!  Boy, did the divine intervention come!  Katie sat completely still for the whole thing!  She didn't move, cry, or complain at all!  She just stared at the doctor while he took the original splint off and wrapped the new cast on.  Even the doctor was impressed with her compliance.  I assured him it was an answer to prayer!  They were out of pink and asked if we wanted yellow.  Sure, I thought, yellow is nice.  Well, it is hi-lighter yellow!  It is so funny! Her cast is huge and super-super bright!  I am so glad she has the cast.  Now she can run around and be crazy and we know that at least her elbow is safe!  
I don't know exactly what the Lord has to teach us, but it is obvious He is certainly after our hearts!  This experience was a little emotional for me.  Abby's experience was more of a "go-go-go."  Katie's experience involved a lot more waiting.  I felt the struggle to fight anxiety and to trust the Lord.  The morning of her surgery, before we knew she needed surgery, the Lord had brought me this verse.
Isaiah 41:10- Do not fear, for I am with you.  Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  
This verse brought me much comfort throughout the day.  I love the words, "surely."  What an emphasis on God's nearness, love, and favor on the lives of His people.  Oh Lord, surely I can trust in You!
Thank you to everyone who was praying for Katie!  We very much appreciate your love for us!




4 comments:

Amy said...

All I can say is Oh Dear! What amazing stories you will have when you are done with this year. I admire your heart through this.

Filleman Family said...

Oh - the list of things God can teach us through our kids is just overwhelmingly long. I've only had to walk through two runs with stiches. So . . how did she break her arm?

tara said...

it was very evident that the Lord was meeting you and pouring out his grace when I talked to you that morning!

We will keep praying that it heals up well! I'd love to see a picture of the hi-lighter yellow cast :-)

Jason and Lisa said...

Wow, that is quite the ordeal. It is so true that God uses our kids to teach us and grow us.