Thursday, August 21, 2008

Week #1 Update

As I sit here tonight it has officially been one week in Maryland! My parents left Monday and we are beginning to get settled into life. We love our apartment, we love our host family, and we are itching for everything to begin! Thankfully this week we had several opportunities to begin building with people and get a taste for how things will be. Here is the run down...

On Monday, our host family invited us "up" for dinner when the whole gang showed up. What a sweet family! All of their kids are our age with some grand kids the same age as Abby and Katie. The girls had so much fun running around and playing with them. Even just a week of not being home with their cousins and their little friends has made them itch for some playmates!

On Tuesday, one of the PC couples invited us over for dinner. We had a great time! The kids were a little crazy, of course :), but then we put them to bed and had a great time laughing and getting to know each other. Get this, they have 3 boys, the oldest will be two in September and then they have 4 month twins! Now that is having your hands full! She was amazing too! I didn't see her complain or get flustered once! And she is so excited to be here, even though she left all of her family and support back home! Oh, there will be so many people to learn from this year!

I know! I missed the pictures of all the kids! But this is Aaron and Crystal! Thanks for having us over!

On Wednesday, all of the PC guys went out for a long 3 hour lunch. They had a great time and Jason is definitely excited about the dynamic of this class.

Today, I was super excited to go to the Dustin's home (Chris and Tara's host family) for the PC Wives Luncheon. I am still pinching myself that we are here and that we get to sit under Gary and Betsy Ricucci and Jeff and Julie Purswell. Today Betsy and Julie were so approachable, so kind, so purposeful in communicating care. I can't wait to learn as much as I can from them! I also had the chance to have several conversations with several of the wives. I too am excited about the dynamic of this group and how eager everyone is to build into each other! Some of them have really cool stories that I would love to share with you all at some point.  
This is Betsy!  I can't wait to tell you all that I learn from her!
Look Tara!  I gave her a big hug for you!  We hope to spend some time with the Dustins too!
More Thoughts This Week

Running: So I ran out here for the first time yesterday. The Bad Part: First, don't ever take a month off, because it hurts, really bad! Second, did y'all know they had hills out here? Those hurt too! The Good Part: The weather rocks! Oh, to run in cool weather again!
Directions Anyone?: First of all, those pilgrims certainly had no idea about city planning and road construction! I miss our grid system. The roads out here are all twisty and curvy and have no consistency in distance. I have no shot at deciphering N,S,E,W nor can I even tell how far a mile is! I am bound to get lost on many occasions I am sure! But so far I know how to get to the church, the grocery store, the Metro, and to Target. All essentials right!
Our Church Home: So we went to Covenant Life on Sunday. It was definitely great! Great worship, great sermon, great community. But I have to say, we missed our church back home! I really did! Part of me really just wanted to be with OUR church family! I was reminded again of this when we were having dinner last Tuesday with our new friends. We were asking about each others' churches and Aaron asked us, "If you could go to any church, which one would you go to?" The question caught me off guard. I have never been asked that question. I really stopped to think about it. Would I be a member of Covenant Life? Of Bethlehem Baptist? Even of the old EVBCT? No, not at all, I would be right where I am. Right where God has called us, Sovereign Grace in Gilbert, AZ. The dearest place on Earth!
We love and miss you all!

7 comments:

Megan said...

hey, it was great to be with you today! I'm looking forward to our year together.

tara said...

ok so I'm crying over here reading your post and seeing your pictures... which doesn't take much these days ;-)

How cool it is to see you with my two of my favorite people in Maryland! I feel like I'm reliving PC vicariously through you! I'm so excited for you!!! Thanks for giving both Liz & Betsy hugs for me :-) So I think i'll call you tomorrow or this weekend... missing you!

Amy said...

You and Jason always have a "second home" at Grace Bible Church. Love you Tiff and can't wait to read about your MD adventures!

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

Glad to hear you are settling in well out there!!! If you haven't checked out mapmyrun.com yet, you might find it helpful with figuring out mileage for running and stuff. Rich and I love using it to map out different routes!

CarrieLovesKeith said...

Tiff, that all sounds incredible! It sounds like you are totally throwing yourself into building with people already! We are so excited for you guys!



by the way, I love that you've been saying "y'all" ;~)

Andrea said...

ok can i just say that i love how small the SGM world is? i totally met crystal at a worship conference back in 2001. she was still single then ;) and her older brother david is a pastor in FL and he and his then-fiance were my family group leaders at my very first new attitude conference! but uh, i wouldn't bother mentioning that to her. i have a very freak memory for names and faces and most ppl don't - so it can be really creepy otherwise. haha! oh and betsy!! please give betsy a hug for me! i love her!!!

and yeah - the roads are awful compared to our neat little organized grid of a city here in phx. i get SO turned around every time i'm in MD. hills and curves and streets that randomly change names and have "N/S/E/W" on them but aren't actually going that direction and TREES! the trees are BEAUTIFUL but they quickly eliminate ALL sense of direction. we may have flat desert here but at least you can look out and go "ah! THAT'S where i need to be!" hahaha! i'm sure you'll get used to it eventually... probably about a month before you get ready to pack up and head home!

i hope you guys have an AWESOME time out there! love you and praying for you and can't wait to have you back at the end of it all!

Me said...

Hey Tiffany! So glad to see you are getting settled. Please don't hesitate to call me for anything! Send me an email and I can share all my information with you. If Emily gave you my number, call anytime after 12 noon. Dallas and I can't wait to hang out with you guys again!

We are praying for you.

God Bless!
Leigh