Friday, December 28, 2007

With Heavy Hearts We Say Goodbye to Joneen

Proverbs 31
verses 10 -12: An excellent wife, who can find?  For her worth is far above jewels.  The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.  She does him good and not evil all the days of her life.  
verses 25 -31: Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future.  She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.  She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.  Her children rise up and bless her; her husband also, and he praises her, saying: "Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all."  Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.  Give her the product of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.

The mother of some good friends of ours passed away on Thursday December 20th.  She certainly was a wife, mother, mother-in-law, grandmother, and bondservant of Christ that feared the Lord and smiled at the future.  As I read over this well-known proverb, I am struck by her life and how much she resembles this Proverbs 31 woman.  As I watch my friends grieve, I am amazed and refreshed at their eternal hope in Christ and their rock solid faith that their mom has truly gone home.  Through her labor, the gospel truly has been handed down from generation to generation.  Hundreds of people attended her memorial service at our church.  I was so aware of a marvelous woman living a simple life at home, serving her husband, her children, her church, and her neighbors, all for the glory of her Savior.  And this simple life affected the lives of so many.  What a legacy!  O great God, I desire to live my life for You and for Your glory, just like Joneen.  I too want the glorious gospel to be handed down to our children and for them to have saving faith in Jesus Christ!

Psalm 116:15- Precious in the sight of the Lord, is the death of His godly ones.  
Joneen has truly gone home to be with her Savior!

As an added side note, our pastor Rich Richardson, preached an amazing message last Sunday on death and heaven.  It was so helpful!  It is available for free download: The Birth of a Savior and the Death of a Saint.

No comments: